Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Union Field Hospital for Black Powder

One of the things I love about playing games in a large scale, such as 28mm, is the spectacle of it.  Our ACW Black Powder games have mostly been huge affairs that really draw in spectators.  For these large games there is a lot of opportunity to draw in gamers and viewers alike by the inclusion of details and vignettes.  Almost from the start I wanted to use actual casualty figures in my Black Powder games just as the authors suggested.  Naturally, the inclusion of these specialty pieces would bring a new dimension to our games but it seemed a shame to just leave them in a box off the table until needed.  After all, it takes almost as much time to paint a casualty as it does a normal figure.  I thought the perfect place for these markers would be a field hospital on the corner of the table so I set about building one.  Fortunately, Old Glory makes just about everything you need for this.  I bought all this stuff several years ago and the first phase was the casualties themselves.  They are the most important part after all.  Next I painted the surgeon vignette and I have already had this out for the last couple games.  The last part was the ambulance and the stretcher team.








If you are interested in building one for yourself this is the Old Glory Hospital Brigade set.  The casualty figures are also Old Glory from the Infantry Lying Dead with Command set.

4 comments:

Tom O said...

Great work, and I agree that they add that extra element to your gamea.

Robert said...

Thanks!

Phil said...

Very nicely done, beautiful vignettes!

Robert said...

Thanks Phil!