The strategic situation is that the US has just suffered an humiliating defeat at Kasserine Pass but the Germans lack the strength to exploit their success. The German forces begin a slow withdrawal to the southeast in order to better protect the route of the Afrika Korps into Tunisia. The US II Corps new commander, Gen. Patton, is eager to press the Germans and cutoff the Afrika Korps route into Tunisia. To do this the US must capture the town of Gabes before the DAK cam make their escape. Patton also wants to prove that the first all US command of the war is able to take on tough opposition and defeat veteran Germans units.
Noob Friendly Tunisia Campaign run by the WWPD guys a couple years ago.
1. Mapped based axis of attack format (See the crappy map above) based on Patton's II Corps attack through El Guettar to cutoff the retreat of the Africa Corps.
2. Armies involved - US Armor and Infantry; German Armor and Panzer Grenadiers. Lists are to be created from the North Africa book and the Tunisia lists for US and Germans.
3. Battles will be randomly generated from the FoW rule book or by agreement of the players. Battles will be scored per the normal VP scoring system.
4. The Allies have the strategic initiative. The Axis forces cannot capture territories they can only try and slow the advance of the allies. A territory is captured when the Allies achieve 6 VP for
battles fought in that territory. This means it will take between one and six battles to capture a territory. The Germans start the campaign controlling all territories.
5. The allies will have 12 campaign turns to capture the final objective - Gabes. Each game represents one campaign turn.
6. Each player should pick a nationality to play for the entire campaign. Players are free to change their army lists from game to game but should not switch nationalities.
7. Progress in the campaign will be tracked several ways. Number of territories held, Strategic objective, VP accumulated, and Casualties suffered (each team lost in a battle counts as a casualty). The strategic objective for the US is to capture Gabes and for the Germans it is to prevent the US from achieving their objective.
So those are the basic rules for the campaign. Tim will be playing the Germans which is an army has is very familiar with. I will be playing the Americans which is a new army for me. It should prove interesting and hopefully I can put up a good enough fight to take it all the way to 12 games. No matter how it turns out I can see us running this campaign a couple of times so we each have a chance to play both armies.
The first battle is tomorrow so here's hoping it goes well for the Allies!