Monday, December 29, 2008

Saxon Army Restoration Part 3

Just a quick update on my Saxon army restoration project. I completed these archers a couple of weeks ago but I had a little trouble with my Vista computer...and...well, I lost the before pictures. No worries, they looked pretty much like the other two units.

I have started on the first formed unit for this army, but I have been a little distracted with other projects lately. I am not sure when I will get back to this but I will.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Completed Beast Herds

Ha! I bet you thought the Tale of More than Four Gamers was dead...well it is actually, but I am still working on my Beasts of Chaos army. I have finally completed the first two Beast Herds. Each of these represents the contents of a single regiment box.

The first unit is hand weapon and sheilds. Why? Well...because I got the models already built and I didn't feel like tearing them apart...and I didn't have the bits to make them into a two hand weapon unit.

The second unit is more properly equipped as a two hand weapon unit. Having never played the game I was still able to figure out that a shield is a waste of time for these guys.
These two units put me at about 750 points painted and ready to go. The movement trays are actually borrowed from the Chaos Hounds units. I will be making new trays for the Beast Herds that will be 7 figures wide by 3 ranks deep. Each unit will then have a character attached to help with the poor leadership.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Saxon Army Restoration Part 2

Here we have the next installment of the Saxon Army restoration. This time we have 8 Dark Age Irish in need of some attention.

This unit has many of the same issues as the first one. One major problem, however, is the skin...its orange. I am not sure how that happened exactly but it must be fixed!

Here is the after image. Looking much better I think. Not award winning but very nice tabletop quality.

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Saxon Army Restoration Part 1

After more than a year away from Warhammer Ancient Battles our local group is planning a couple of games days in a couple of weeks. This means it is time to pull out my Northumbrian Saxon army and take stock. I painted this army several years ago and it has been my main army since the release of the Sheildwall supplement for WAB. That makes it about 6 years old.

During that time the army has seen lots of playing time and transport time. In fact, this is the army I took to Historicon 2004 for the WAB tournament. Needless to say, it is starting to show some ware.

This is the first in what will be a series of posts tracking the restoration of this army. I know I will not have this done for our games later in the month but it is a great excuse to get started.

I have a lot of experience with army restorations. It seems that most of my projects involve large amounts of used figures and models. In fact, this army was built with about 50% used models. This project will be a little different, however. For this project I will be doing some touch-ups and highlights along with freshening the bases. The army is very large with about 160 figures. Back when i painted it I wanted to get it on the table quickly so it was speed painted and dipped.

In the Before picture above, you can see the heavy coat of dip as well as some of the damage to the figures. There is also a lack of detail in the painting. The flock is almost entirely worn off the bases. Frankly, they look like crap.

Here is how they look after my restoration work. I have painted highlights directly over the dip layer. This is possible because the figures had already been dull coated. I have also re-flocked the bases. This is about an hour of work and I think they look much better.

Eight down and only 150+ to go.