Thursday, October 1, 2020

Q3 2020 Recap

Another quarter of the amazing, and slightly painful, year of 2020 is behind us.  Time for a recap of my hobby progress.  The idea with these recaps is to help keep my annual goals on track through the course of the year and, so far, I think it is helping.  Generally speaking, the time from July until the beginning of November is a tough time of year for me and I usually see a slowing in hobby productivity during this time.  This year is no different.

Necromunda

I have really neglected talking much about this game so far this year as most of my activity has been centered on purchases.  But this was actually my main goal for the year with this game - try and catch up on all the releases and keep up with the new stuff.  I have actually done pretty well with this so far this year.  I am still behind on the latest Escher stuff and the new Orlock stuff is coming soon so I will be spending a lot more money on this in 2020.






It has not all been about the purchases, I have made significant progress on painting my collection as well as building models.  Back in April I built the new Goliath figures.





Building is not all that has been happening.  This quarter I finally finished my long neglected Escher gang.  I started these nearly three years ago but just could not find the motivation to get them done. 


A new Necromunda campaign has started (OK it's just Tim and I playing some games) and I needed some additional members for my Goliaths so I painted a few more figures for that gang.


I have been working on painting terrain for Necromunda but so far none of it has been what I would call finished.  I have also played several games for far this year and many were in Q3.  If I do nothing else with this game this year it it will still be a big win.

Q3 was not all about Necromunda, however.  I had my first real distraction of the year in August.  I jumped into collecting Marvel Crisis Protocol.  I've not yet played the game so I have no opinion yet on the rules but the models are very cool.  The models alone are enough to make this a good purchase.


I managed to build all the models I have purchased for the game so far.




I did manage to paint one model - HULK.  The larger size of these figures will be a challenge for my painting style.


MCP is certainly a distraction as it was not on my radar at all at the beginning of the year but I have no regrets.  I love Marvel and I want to play a cool super hero game and this looks like the ticket.

There was another new game added to the collection in Q3 but this one cannot be counted as a distraction - World War III: Team Yankee.  I did say back in January that this game would likely suck me in once the new starter set was released and it did.  Tim and I each buy a set and I traded my Soviets for his Americans.  This gave us each a good starting force.  I also picked up the original Bannon's Boys set from my friend Mike, giving me more M1 and a couple of Cobras.



I managed to assemble nearly all my models.  These new TY plastic sets are really great models.






Once we have about 100 points assembled we got in our first game of the new edition.  It really played well and the game was a blast.  I thought the US forces were not going to have much of a chance against Soviet T-80 and T-64 force but I was able to pull out a win.  The game is so much faster than the WWII or even the FoAN versions.







Even though my painting production has dropped off, it has been a fun quarter for the most part.  The ongoing COVID drama is still making it hard to enjoy things but that seems to be slowly improving.

Models Assembled year to date (includes cleaning and prepping metal figures):


15mm FoW WWII - 11 (5 tanks, 2 aircraft)
15mm Team Yankee - 16 (16 tanks)
28mm Bolt Action - 8
28mm Age of Sigmar - 21 (5 Cav, 1 Mortis Engine)
28mm Necromunda - 7
28mm 40K - 7
28mm Terrain - 22
40mm Marvel Crisis Protocol - 23 (11 terrain. 1 HULK)

Total - 115

Figures painted year to date:

15mm FoW WWII - 212 (11 Tanks, 6 guns, 4 Rocket Launchers, 2 aircraft, 4 pillboxes and nests, 4 Objective Markers)
28mm Age of Sigmar - 14 (1 Mortis Engine, 2 Cav, 2 Realmgates)
28mm Napoleonic - 1
28mm Necromunda - 14
28mm 40K - 32 (17 Terrain)

Total - 273

Game Record to date:

Bolt Action 1-0-0
Gaslands 0-1-0
FoW Great War 0-2-0
FoW Mid-war 2-6-0
Team Yankee 1-0-0
Kill Team 2-0-0
Necromunda 4-3-0
Warhammer Underworlds 0-2-0




No comments: