Thursday, December 17, 2020

Model Railroad Thoughts and Ideas

 Not much has been happening with the model railroad yet and in fact not much as been happening with any hobby stuff for a while.  Most everything hobby related has been packed up in preparation for moving into my new house next month.  This has left me stuck just thinking about things and in some cases impulse purchasing things.

When I made the decision to get back into this hobby I started from a place of having absolutely nothing to work with.  I had sold off my entire collection to Tim about 5 or 6 years ago, and I mean my entire collection.  This means that I am starting with a completely clean slate and I will be able to experiment with new products and techniques that I might not have been willing to do had I kept everything.


My first MRR hobby purchase was this Bachmann E-Z Track figure 8 set that I got off of Facebook Marketplace for $25.  It is basically new and in perfect shape.  My plan, starting out, is to experiment with E-Z track and foam board as a base for the railroad.  For purists this is basically a joke product but I would like to see for myself the viability of E-Z track for a permanent (semi) layout.  If nothing comes out this but a way to quickly run some trains in a circle I am totally OK with that.

My entire MRR experience has been limited to DC power with a single power block.  Basically, one train at a time.  Initially, this will likely be how I get things going again.  Tim is giving me back my old MRC power-pack as his layout has a nice DCC system.  Power and train control have advanced a long way since DCC first came out 30+ years ago and in the last few years we have seen the introduction of Bluetooth and WiFi control.  In the end DCC will likely win out but it would be fun to have a Bluetooth engine.

In the past I have never considered any of the more advanced power options for a layout.  Things like powered turnouts and operating crossing gates seemed like too much trouble to be worth it.  My little starter setup will allow me to investigate some of these options and may even include things like DCC turnout control and auto-reversing loops.  This first stage is going to be about investigation and experimentation.  I will work hard to avoid trying to build some grand layout and getting in over my head.

Motive power will, again, initially be with older DC power.  Tim has graciously agreed to return my old engine collection, which he is not using at all, as well as a couple of new DCC compatible units.  This should solve all my motive power needs with virtually no expense.  I do plan of trying my hand at re-wiring an old unit for whatever control method I decide to go with.

Rolling stock is mostly, and again, be supplied by my friend Tim.  Much of my old stock is coming back (all the off road and stuff he is not using) as well as a few new items that he does not need.  I have won a couple auctions and made a few other purchase from friends.  I will definitely have plenty to work with.  In fact, really need to slowdown on that part.  I told myself I would plan the rolling stock based on need and not just buy cool stuff...that went right out the window.

Anyway, this has just been a bit of a ramble but it should give you an idea of what I have been thinking about recently.  I will not have anything running until well into February most likely.  Moving is a pain in the ass.  As an aside, since model railroading is a movement sort of thing I might start doing video posts.



1 comment:

Tim Kulinski said...

So you can say it "went of the rails" for purchases???

Glad I am able to help out an addict like myself!