Thursday, September 17, 2015

Late War German Grenadier Company for Flames of War

My late war German grenadier company is finished.  This marks the second complete Flames of War army I have painted in the last 30 days.  I have bee collecting figures for this army for almost a year, maybe a little longer.  A standard grenadier force has been a project I have wanted to do for a long time and it feels good to get this one done.  It will actually see a lot of table-time as a mid-war force for our upcoming Kursk campaign.

This is the company command and the 2iC.  The command figures are Battlefront from the Open Fire set.  The panzerschreck team and the snipers are metal figures from Peter Pig.  I will eventually add the mortars.
Grenadier platoon 1.  These are all plastic Battlefront figures.  I really fell in love with these models while painting them.
Platoon 2 is just the same as platoon 1.
Platoon three is also Battlefront plastic figures but the panzerschreck team is metal figures from Peter Pig.
The grenadier scout platoon is made of Battlefront plastic figures.  I had two starter sets worth of models so the extras went to the little platoon.  Not sure how useful it will be in the game but I will find out.
The HMG platoon is metal Battlefront figures.  When I decide to add a second HMG platoon I might use PSC.  That would allow me to built two platoons of mortars as well...
Battlefront plastic PaK40 platoon from the Open Fire set.  These are nice models but a little flimsy on the barrels.  Hopefully these hold up on the table.
Battlefront NW42 Nebelwerfer battery.  The NW41 is probably more common but just about every German army in Flames of War has nebs.
German 10.5cm leFH18 howitzer battery.  The models are by Battlefront and are really nice.  The scenic bases make the painting and assembly a little more challenging but the results a great.  In all my years of playing FoW I am not sure I have ever seen German artillery.
Opel Blitz 3-ton trucks.  These are transports for the gun and artillery platoons.  I am pretty sure I will never need more than these 4 trucks.
This is a picture of my entire late war German collection.  This includes everything from this post as well as all my LW tanks I have painted over the years.  No Fallschirmjagers, however.  That is a totally different collection.
This is not everything I have for late war but it is a fully functioning army so I am calling this done.  I still have a company of Panther A to paint sometime.  It think it is time to switch gears for a while and work on something a little bigger.

3 comments:

Jason Meyers said...

Great looking force! Nicely done.

Nick von Cover said...

Nice work! I wish I had the time and skill to paint like you do. I really like what you did with the trucks. The canvas cover is superb and having one in grey is a nice touch. I'm stealing the blue windshield idea, btw. Details, details, details - they do make a HUGE difference.

I agree with you about the Battlefront plastic grenadiers. Really nice figures. Easy to work with and for the most part good detail. I reviewed the Battlefront plastic figures at my blog about a month ago. These are the way of the future - at least until 3D printing is really mass market.

You mention the PSC machine guns. As it so happens I did a review on the Plastic Soldier Company late war heavy weapons box with an assembly guide that has more detailed photos. They're both a few years old, but still pretty relevant. Overall the PSC figures are smaller than Battlefront's but I mix and match freely.

Keep up the good work! (I need regular doses of inspiration)

Robert said...

Thanks for the comments and compliments, Nick! I saw your reviews of the plastic figures and have spent quite a bit of time reading them over. Very helpful stuff!