Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Out with the Old in with the New Year

 Another year has passed and more regrets have piled up.  I had some high hope for 2022 on the hobby and game front, but you couldn't tell by looking at this blog.  I actually did OK on the game playing front last year.  I got in several mid-war FoW games and played in a small tournament (and won).  I played some Team Yankee and a late war FoW game too.  Before the year ended I eve managed to get in a game of Middle-Earth Strategy Battle game (forever to be known to me as LOTR:SBG or just Lord of the Rings).

Painting was really not a good last year.  Most of what I painted I blogged about and that was not very much.  Without strong game inspiration I find it tough to paint.  I did acquire some new models and managed to build some.  I worked on some Necromunda models and added some of the new plastic Scum to the paint queue.  My friend, Tom, printed some 15mm M47 Patton tanks for my 6 Day War Jordanians and I did get some paint on those.  With the return of Lord of the Rings I dug out my LOTR project box and started work on some of those items.  I even bought the current and previous starter sets for the game.

On the topic of the blog, I am really not sure what to do.  For years and years the blog has been a major part of the hobby.  It served as a journal for tracking my painting and gaming interests, and as a form of motivation.  The desire to put up quality content inspired me to create.  With only 8 posts in 2 years that is no longer working.  I am really not sure what to do.  Should I redouble my efforts to get the blog back on track or should I accept the reality that is part of the hobby is dead?  I'm not sure anyone even comes here any more.

Looking ahead to 2023.  Strangely enough, it looks like '23 will be the year of the return of LOTR gaming.  It has been 10+ years since this has been a thing and I am super excited to get this back on the table.  There are several local people who will be joining in and we will be running a slow grow league for the first half of the year.  We might even do a tournament!  

I will continue with all the FoW variants.  I have several projects that I would like to get to.  I would love to get back to Necromunda and I do plan to paint stuff but I would love to play it again.  Not really sure what else might be on the horizon.  

7 comments:

Dai said...

You still have visitors Robert. Post and we will come!

Looking forward to seeing your LOTR stuff on the game table and any new additions you might show off too!

Tom O said...

Looking forward to the LOTR project while still getting FOW, etc on the table. As for the blog...it is part of your hobby work which can definitely change over time. Ultimately it always comes back to doing what makes you happy.

Tim Kulinski said...

You still have visitors, I struggled with the my own blog as well. One thing you told me was your blog is a place to document what your doing, keep putting it up and dont worry about comments or views, your doing this for you and no one else. Thats how I was able to get 19 posts this year on mine.

I am very happy that LotR is back and we have folks wanting to play, I am excited about gaming in Middle earth again and now I have a reason for getting more stuff painted.

Robert said...

Thanks for the comments and the encouragement! I will make it a point to get in more posts this year and bring this blog back to life.

Doppelbock said...

I still have you in my RSS feed and read every post but I totally understand the lack of motivation to post. I have the same problem myself where I want to post good content but end up spending that time on more painting etc. Still following the railroad blog, too.

Robert said...

Doppelbock, thanks for the comments. I am working to get more stuff this year and so far so good. Then you had to do and mention the MRR blog. Another point of shame that I need to fix. I have lots of cool stuff going on with the model railroad hobby but I just have neglected documenting it.

Doppelbock said...

T be fair I have blogged about my miniature painting exactly twice in the past year and most recently 11 months ago so I am not one to talk.