Thursday, September 4, 2008

Higgins Boat

The first scenario for my Italy 1943 campaign will be the battle of Salerno. This was a beach assault conducted by US and British forces in September 1943. I will be playing the 36th US Infantry division for this battle.

This scenario requires 3-4 landing craft in the US deployment zone so Tim and I had to make a few. These are made of matt board that is used for framing pictures. The mesh is some needlepoint stuff and the ribs are matchsticks. The circular elements on the rear deck are 25mm slugs.



Since these are mostly just terrain pieces I have not done a lot of detail work. I am planning on some weathering but not much more than that.


The boat holds 21 figures on 25mm bases. This is not too bad; the real boat only carried 36 men. I just need to put the finishing touches on 3 more and then it is on to the beach sections.

1 comment:

The Inner Geek said...

These look really good. It's amazing what you can do with some materials from a crafts store!