Monday, August 8, 2011

Catachan Jungle Fighters

Tim and I have been talking and planning a 40k Combat Patrol event. Part of the planning has been ideas for themed tables. One of the tables I have been wanting to do for a long time is a jungle table. I came up with some cool ideas and I got to work. When building terrain I always keep a figure model around to test the fit and the look. For this project I had a Catachan figure. That was a mistake. You see it was unpainted and just did not look right. Before I knew it I had 50 Catachan figures on the table and the jungle terrain was pushed aside.

I had no plan for this I just grabbed some unpainted figures and jumped in. Most of this collection is old. I have had most of it baking in my garage for 10+ years. Most of these figures were acquired through various trades and purchases. All of the figures in this post were assembled by someone else. Many already had some paint or primer on them.

I didn't do anything special, I just dusted them and cleaned them a little and started to work.

Since I had no plan when I started painting I have not put these figures into units. There are enough to do a good sized infantry platoon with a heavy weapons squad.

I will still have several commander types as well as special weapons left over.




These guys have been painted to match my Imperial Guard Veterans from an earlier post. The Vets will need to have the basing completed to match the rest of the army. My Ogryns will also be added to this army and will also need some basing work. With the demise of the Daemonhunter's codex I now have 30+ stormtroopers that will be pressed into service with the Catachans. These stormtrooper figures are in a blue uniform and will need to be repainted green. I am not sure if I will do a full paint strip or just paint green over the blue.

I am working on a deal to buyout some extra stuff from a local gamer and Tim has a few extras to chip in. I still have 20 more Catachans on the paint table and parts to build dozens more. I also have 3 sentinels, 3 Leman Russ and a Hellhound. Oh, and a Valkyrie. Lots more to do on this one...lets see how long it take for burnout to set in.

1 comment:

ColKillgore said...

I think your figures look fine.
I know alot of people deride the Catachans but I think they are good models. They are easy to build and convert. I had a Catachan jungle fighter army and a Armageddon ork hunter army at one time. Once the codex was rewritten to do away with the Catchan special rules I broke most of them up and used them to start my adeptus mechanicus guard army. When I went back to play the catachans I needed more models to get them back on the table in a legal army. So like you I wheeled and dealed and built up a good sized second hand army. Some of them had a little too much paint on them so they got stripped but the majority recieved a light prime and then onto painting. I am looking forward to the rest of the army.